Course Name: Afro-Brazilian Culture
Professor: Dr. T. Delfin
Lib Ed.: CUL-6 (Cross)
GPS [Global Poet Scholarship] Eligible: Yes!
GPS: Students who started in Fall 2016 can subtract $2000 from course fee total.
Cost/Fees: $2700 (does not include airfare)
Travel dates: 1/6/18-1/18/18
This two-week immersive Brazilian experience will begin in Salvador de Bahía. This beach town is famous as Brazil’s first capital and as the region where African culture is most preserved. Students will experience home stays, daily conversational Portuguese classes, and will have the opportunity to attend workshops on Capoeira, Olodum drumming, and samba. We will contribute
to the community with service learning and will participate in an Afro-Brazilian religious pilgrimage. We will then fly to Rio de Janeiro to complete this course in Brazil’s most famous city. There we will engage with the Afro-Brazilian community in pacified favelas where we will volunteer with locally-run NGOs. Our last nights will be spent in a centrally located hostel in a quiet part of the city.
Pack your swimsuit. This educational experience abroad will be jam-packed, but will leave plenty of time to visit Brazil’s famous beaches.
All majors are welcome to apply, but particularly interesting for majors in the following areas: Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy, Anthropology, History, Global and Cultural Studies, Spanish, and English.
The Faculty-Led Program fees ($2700) include the following for the dates of the program:
– Accommodations (double occupancy)
– Lodging, with breakfast and numerous lunches.
– Course-related site visits.
– HTH health and natural/political disaster evacuation insurance or program vendor insurance if it is more comprehensive.
– Some Meals
– Service-learning and volunteer activity costs.
*Note: Prices are subject to change.
The Faculty-Led Tuition Fee includes:
– 3 Semester Credits.
– Whittier Students only pay course fees. Jan term tuition is included in your fall tuition. Non-Whittier students should inquire with our office about our tuition.
Costs Not Included:
– Meals not indicated on the itinerary
– Airfare and transport other than indicated above
– Expenses of a personal nature
– Optional international cell phone/SIM card rental and usage charges
– Passport expenses
– Single supplement fee, if a participant wishes to have a single room for hotel/hostel accommodations and if available.