Course Name: Rome, Naples, Sicily: The Cultural Mosaic of Southern Italy
Professor: David Hunt
Lib Ed.: Culture 5
GPS [Global Poet Scholarship] Eligible: Yes!
GPS: Students who started in Fall 2016 can subtract $2000 from course fee total.
All majors are welcome to apply!
[su_button url=”http://goabroad.whittier.domains/apply” style=”flat” background=”#b12def” size=”4″ center=”yes”]Apply Now![/su_button]
A three-week study tour of Southern Italy, visiting the city of Rome, the Bay of Naples (including Pompeii and Capri), and the island of Sicily. The course focuses on the rich history and cultural variety of the region, which contains more UNESCO World Heritage sites than any comparable area of the world.
This course focuses on the incredible variety of historical and cultural influences that have left their mark in Southern Italy. This location has become a cultural mosaic, and we will encounter examples of this during the course. While we will begin and end the course in Rome, the capital of the pagan Roman empire, we will also branch out to regions of Sicily to explore the wide variety of culture — specifically in the neighborhoods of the Albergheria district of Palermo. Students will gain a sense of how these cultures differ and will learn to recognize the diverse contributions of these cultures to the various monuments and sites that we visit.
[su_box title=”Sample of Activities”]
CO-CURRICULAR AND CULTURAL ACTIVITIES
- Welcome and farewell dinner
- Walking tours of historical centers: Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Palatine Chapel
- Visits to archaeological sites
- Villa Romana del Casale
- Emperor Tiberius’ Villa Jovis
- Buried cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum
- Baroque gems (like the city of Noto)
- Visits to cathedrals of Monreale and Cefalu
[su_spoiler title=”Costs and Fees” style=”fancy”]
The Faculty-Led Program fees include the following for the dates of the program. It is important to note that fees and costs are always subject to change due to the nature of international travel (new visa requirements, new travel regulations, etc.) as well as changes to the itinerary.
*Note: Prices are subject to change.
The Faculty-Led Tuition Fee includes:
- Accommodation in selected superior 3*** and 4**** star hotels in Sicily , Naples in rooms for double or twin bedded occupancy for overnights (15) with TV, private facilities, A/C and all modern comforts in central locations
- Daily buffet breakfast
- One (1) dinner with local specialties (3-4 course dinner incl. appetizers, main dish, dessert)
- Four lunches (one in Pozzuoli, one in Agrigento, one in Etna, and one in Modica)
- Coach transportation with fully air conditioning, modern facilities and professional driver as per itinerary
- Group bus transfer upon arrival and departure when mentioned at fixed times
- Hydrofoil tickets Naples – CAPRI roundtrip incl. taxes
- Flight ticket Catania – Naples airport/security taxes based on current rates
- Flights Rome – Palermo
- Assistance by our local reps in Sicily , and in Naples
- 3 semester credits (May term tuition is waived)
- HTH health and natural/political disaster evacuation insurance or program vendor insurance if it is more comprehensive
Costs Not Included:
- Flights to/from the USA
- Meals not indicated on the itinerary
- Airfare and transport other than indicated above
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Optional international cell phone/SIM card rental and usage charges
- Passport expenses
- Single supplement fee, if a participant wishes to have a single room for hotel accommodations if available
- Lunches and/or dinners not included on the itinerary, drinks of personal nature, gratuities to porters and tips to guide and driver
[su_spoiler title=”What students have to say about our trips…” style=”fancy”]”This study abroad experience was absolutely wonderful. The various locations we visited during the trip were not only relevant to our studies but also very enjoyable as we were able to explore the country. We also had a clear and well thought out itinerary. The aspect of the trip I enjoyed the most was spending time…volunteer [ing] to help improve the community. It was a very rural and different environment that I had never previously experienced.”
“I loved working closely with my peers and my professor. There was a huge sense of community even though we were all from different walks of life.”
“I loved that we were able to really explore the country, visiting big cities, little cities and tiny villages, to really get an idea of the culture.”[/su_spoiler]
[su_spoiler title=”What courses do I enroll in?” style=”fancy”]For this course you will be enrolled in the appropriate section for May 2018. You will not need to sign up for this course during registration because you are automatically enrolled. [/su_spoiler]
[su_spoiler title=”Applying” style=”fancy”]Applying is easy! Just click here or on the “Apply” link at the top of the page.[/su_spoiler]